ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1998-10 > 94856

From: "The Desko's" <>
Subject: Jamestown NY
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 14:45:40 -0400

Recently I purchased the "Jamestown Evening Journal"
for Monday, January 18, 1886. In the hope that it might
help someone else I will post some of the items in it.
I don't have any other info on these people but will send
out photocopies of the items to any one who wants one.

The paper is published by John A Hall & Son, Jamestown NY.

>From the "Around About US" Column:

George E Towne is prominently spoken of as Republican
candidate for supervisor of Hanover.

Lyman Covell, aged ninety one, is dead. He had resided seventy
years in Elmira and was the oldest and one of the most prominent
citizens.

P. R. Woodring, prominent dry goods dealer of Meadville, is under
bail for appearance at court on a charge of attempting to defraud
creditors.

The bill rendered by Pinkerton's detective agency for services in
attempting to ferret out the murderer of Mrs. Amelia Miles, at Medina,
amounts to nearly $300.

S. T. Howard, of LeRoy, claims the ownership of the first national bank
note ever put into circulation. He secured it while a government employee
at Washington.

William L. Scott's stable of running horses was taken last week from Erie
Cape Charles, the future home of the Algeria running stable. The stable
comprises twenty-one head of horses and colts.

James Hopkins, of Corry, is under arrest for refusing to support his
daughter
who is an invalid. He had expended only $1.90 for her in a year. Bowman &
Boyle, lawyers, conduct the case of the daughter without charge.

At a recent sitting of the Allegheny county grand jury, no effort was made
indict "Dee" Howard, the telegraph operator who was arrested for leaving
the
switch open at Scio, which caused the wreck of the Flyer train a short time
ago.

More to come later.

Kathi

This thread: