ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1998-10 > 95578

From: Mary Inglis <>
Subject: Re: Kansas State (Territorial) census 1885, 1895
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:58:24 -0700

Bob, In a catalog of state censuses I have, the description for the 1895
states has one different aspect. It asked were born and where from
prior to arriving in Kansas which I found helpful when searching for an
Ireland born person and the census showed which State he had come from
before arriving in Kansas. Also, the forms for use by the assessors
were received 2-3 weeks after they were supposed to have been and, as a
result, it is claimed that it caused hurried and careless gathering of
the info, some of which was omitted entirely. It is important to keep
this in mind, particularly when reading the 1895 census for Kansas.
Mary Inglis
Listowner of CAROOTS, SCT-FIFE, and TARWATER

Bob Balch wrote:

> Mary, thanks for the info. I frequently use the local FHC, and will try to
> order through them.
>
> Bob

This thread: