ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1998-10 > 95630

From: "Donna m Marchese" <>
Subject: Delayed marriages
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 16:41:33 -0400

I am in complete agreement with the theory that some of the immigrants who
came over did not marry because they were the support of their family. My
father-in-law Marchese came from Sicily in 1911 to work in New Haven,CT.
After a year, he returned to Italy to serve in the army (mandatory). When
he returned he brought half the family with him and the other half came
about 6 months later. He had 8 siblings and both parents. He did not marry
until he was 33 years old, because of his ageing parents. He was considered
the head of the family, being the oldest son. Just thought I would pass
this on. Marge Marchese

This thread: