ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1998-10 > 95674

From: "Perry Streeter" <>
Subject: CODDINGTON; NJ > Ulster Co., NY > Tompkins Co., NY; 1760-
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 8:02 -0500

CODDINGTON; NJ > Ulster Co., NY > Tompkins Co., NY; 1760-

The eminent genealogist, John Insley Coddington, published an
article in "The American Genealogist" on the following CODDINGTON
family entitled, "An Unconnected Coddington Family" (hereinafter
TAG).

1. ____ CODDINGTON, married _____ _____.
The compiler's earliest known CODDINGTON ancestor was John.
Nothing of his parents is known; however, it is widely accepted
that he was the younger brother of Benjamin CODDINGTON (TAG).
Given the great disparity in their years of the birth and the fact
that they were b. in different states, I am not convinced of that
they were so closely related. Benjamin and John may have been
half-brothers, uncle and nephew, cousins, etc.
From records cited below, we know that John was b. in NY State
about 1778. Assuming that his father was still alive in 1790 and
that he resided in NY State, he was probably one of the CODDINGTONs
enumerated in Ulster Co., NY in the first federal census. In 1790,
the majority of CODDINGTONs within NY State were residents of
Ulster Co. Children (TAG):

i. Benjamin, b. NJ about 1760.
2. ii. John, b. NY about 1778.

2. John CODDINGTON, b. in NY (1880 Federal Census, Hector,
Schuyler Co., NY [birthplace of Mary Ann (CODDINGTON) CODDINGTON's
father]) about 1778; d. at Hector, Schuyler Co., NY on 12 August
1845, "aged 67." John was first married about 1797 to Mary Ann
ROBINSON, b. in Ireland (1880 Federal Census, Hector, Schuyler Co.,
NY [birthplace of Mary Ann (CODDINGTON) CODDINGTON's mother]) about
1779. John married second, Elizabeth _____, who survived him.
By 1800, John had settled in Cayuga Co. (1800 Federal Census,
NY State, Cayuga Co.). Mary Ann became a member of the Baptist
Church at Covert on its founding, 16 February 1803; John joined
shortly thereafter on 20 February 1803.
Children, first seven b. at Ulysses, Tompkins Co., NY, last
two b. at Hector, Schuyler Co., NY (TAG):

i. James Harvey, b. 3 Mary 1798; d. Hector after 1870; m.
1820 Amarilla PHELPS, b. Ovid, NY 12 May 1799, d.
Warrensville, OH 19 Feb 1842, dau. of Noah PHELPS;
nine children (O.S. Phelps and A.T. Servin, The
Phelps Family in America, 1: 372; 2:1735-6).
ii. Calvin, b. 1800; m. Sarah Ann PORTER.
iii. Samuel, b. 1802; m. Ann _____, b. NY about 1804;
living in Census of 1850 at Ripley, Town of
Westfield, Chatauqua Co., NY.
iv. Julia Ann, b. 1804; m. Ira LOTT of Ripley, Town of
Westfield, Chatauqua Co., NY; resided there in
1845; moved away by 1850.
v. Aaron., b. 1806; d. 131 Queens Avenue, London,
Ontario, Canada 6 March 1884; bur. Mt. Pleasant
Cemetery, London; m. Elizabeth Ann PATRICK, b. NY
1816, d. Kalamazoo State Hospital, Kalamazoo, MI 6
April 1900, dau. of Matthew and Deborah (LUCKY)
PATRICK of Schuyler Co., NY and later of Lowell
Township, Kent Co., MI; carpenter and joiner;
settled at London before 1845; at least two
children.
vi. Alvah, b. 22 April 1808; d. Tecumseh Township, Lenawee
Co., MI 18 June 1882; m. about 1832 Barbara SWICK,
b. 12 Dec 1801, d. Trumansburg, NY 13 March 1876;
two children.
vii. John, b. 1810; d. Seneca Township, Lenawee Co., MI 17
Oct 1851; m. Anna DEMUN, b. 1807, d. 1903, dau. of
Peter DEMUN; four children; all bur. Morenci
Cemetery, Morenci, MI.
viii. Maria, b. about 1814; m. Abraham SWICK.
ix. Mary Ann, b. about 31 Oct 1818; d. Hector, NY 20 May
1882 "aged 63-6-20" according to her gravestone; m.
about 1845 to her first-cousin-once removed, Aaron
Owen CODDINGTON (John Merlin, Benjamin), son of
John Merlin and Sarah (OWEN) CODDINGTON.

I am seeking all genealogical and biographical details for the
family documented above, including their ancestors, children, and
grandchildren and the spouses thereof, including the full names of
those spouses' parents. All additions and corrections, however
speculative, will be greatly appreciated. Please send a copy of
any response directly to me. I subscribe to many lists and post to
many websites; I would not want to miss your reply! Thank you!

Perry Streeter ()
Canandaigua, NY USA

This thread: