ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1998-10 > 95823

From: Suzanne Weinheimer <>
Subject: BENEDICT / BOUTON link (1650-1800's, CT area)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 11:15:28 -0400

I'm having a problem confirming some information, and I hope someone out
there can help.

While checking and editing sources in Reunion 5.0 , I came across this
notation (free form, imported from 4.0 likely) :

>William BOUTON m. Sarah BENEDICT (no dates or parentage available, but
married in 1769)

William BOUTON (1749-1828) is the son of Joseph, who is the son of
Jachin, son of John, son of John, who was an original settler of Norwalk
CT in 1651 (Source: _Genealogy of the Benedicts in America_ by Henry
Benedict, v.1, page 68)

Since I know those names are familiar, I ran a check on my index, and
came up with the following info:
John2 BOUTON (1636-1706?) m. Abigail MARVIN
---JOhn3 (1659-1704) m. Sarah GREGORRIE (also spelled GREGORY)
---Joseph (b 1693 ) no spouse or children info
---John4 (b. abt 1701) m. Mary PET(T)IT - no children info

This line doesn't seem to be the right one, but I also found this:

John2 (1636-1706?) m. Mary STEVENSON
---Joseph (1674-1746) m. Mary GREGORY
---Jachin (Jakin) (b. 1696 ) m. Mary ATWATER
---Joseph (Captain) (1726-1778) m. Susannah RAYMOND
---William (no spouse, children or dates info)

This second line seems to fit into my BENEDICT info except for the extra
generation of Joseph (unless Joseph is aka John). John2 could be an
original Norwalk CT settler at the age of 15.

Can anyone help me join these two families, or confirm that yes, I should
combine them?

THANKS!

Suzanne Weinheimer, -OR-