ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1998-10 > 95876

From: Mary Inglis <>
Subject: Photograph gravestones from different angles
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 21:17:40 -0700

Several years ago while visiting an old Indiana cemetery, I found a
headstone I could not identify which was among several others of the
family I was looking for. I was looking for a stone for an Eleanor
Adams. This stone was for James Adams but I thought I had found,
identified and found stones for all names James in this family. It was
badly broken because years earlier someone had plants irises and lilies
there and the huge tubers had cracked the stone. The headstone was a
soft stone, well-worn and deteriorating from the years and the weather
and difficult to read. It had a worn decoration arched across the top
and when I tried to trace the letters, I could barely make out the
name: James Adams and a year of death. I had heard the harm some chalk
(if not removed), shaving soap, etc. did to porous old headstones, so
never use them, but I do take photos and because the sun is not always
in the best position, or trees are making shadows on the stone, I make
photos from different angles. I made three photos at different angles
of this stone with a name I did not recognize. When I returned home and
had the pictures developed, I was shocked to see arched across the top
the words, clearly spelled out, "Eleanor Adams wife of". Here was
Eleanor, the lady I was searching for, wife of James Adams and the date
was her date of death! Needless to say, I swear by photos!
Mary Inglis
Listowner of SCT-FIFE, CAROOTS, TARWATER

This thread: