ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1998-10 > 96237

Subject: Re: Bell's Palsy
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 01:40:37 EDT

I have a 15 year old son who has had Bell's Palsy twice. It starts with an ear
ache, then sever pain that pain killers could not touch. The area around the
ear was very painful for over a week the taste buds are gone they cannot taste
any thing the hole side of their face is paralyzed.
The eye dose not close so has to be taped shut at night to keep it from drying
out.
This can last several weeks the first time was over 2 months about 8 weeks is
average. But for some people it never goes away. The neurologist we went to
had gotten it at the age of 8 and it never went away.
They do not know what causes Bell's Palsy, it is believed to be caused by a
Virus, In Matt's case he had been exposed to the chicken pox both times before
he got it.
Another possibility is that it is a damaged nerve. But it is not known what
the cause and there is no cure for it. Just the hope that it will go away.
Patti Moore Lininger
Yelm, WA

This thread: