ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1998-10 > 96503

Subject: Re: BALTIMORE (or any) Census Lookup
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 09:54:07 EST

Someone posted a request for a lookup on the 1900 census, saying, "These are
my gr.grandparents and I can't get over 'the wall' to find them ~ANY info.
will be most appreciated!"

I don't have the 1900 census, or any other census, but I can tell this poster
or any other HOW to get any census: Go to your local public library. Speak to
the librariarian who will know how to order microfilm from the Archives. There
is a nominal fee. The film will arrive, and YOU can look at the census. The
REAL advantage of doing it this way is that you will be able to see the
neighbors and the type of neighborhood. You may well find other relatives.

I know we become accustomed to getting immediate answers, and I know that the
right way is not usually the "quick and dirty way," but I am reminded that my
mother began looking in genealogy some years back. She was at the time what I
thought was "old." {Uhhhhh, I think she was about 53 then!} And she had only a
high school education, no training in doing research. Yet her research was
exceptionally well done. Give it a try; you might like it.

Alice Marie Beard

This thread: