ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1998-10 > 96529

From: "B. Rivas" <>
Subject: Lookups in General
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 12:37:36 -0600

Alice

Thank you for saying what I've been thinking for a long time. I've
"lurked" on quite a few lists. I don't mind helping people if I am
able, but there is a line I would like to draw. Some people ask simple
questions that they themselves can find the answers to if they would
take just a few minutes of their own time. I am speaking of those with
access to the internet. They just need to find a search engine (Yahoo,
AltaVista, HotBot -to name a few). Then they can enter the subject they
are looking for. Usually it's as simple as that. I do admit that
sometimes it takes a lot more digging. It's surprising the wealth of
information on the internet..

For those who cannot access the internet for one reason or another, I
don't mind trying to find information. But then again, we come up
against the basic problem: Doing your own research. If your town has
any kind of decent library you should be able to find information there,
or the librarian should be able to help you find where it may be.
Also if you have a Latter Day Saints (LSD) center near you, they have
access to all sorts of information and for very nominal fees.

Alice was so right. Too many people want the "quick fix", and they
don't realize that what they in reality are asking is that others do
their research for them and then present it on a silver platter.

Barbara

This thread: