ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1998-10 > 96632

Subject: old remedies
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 13:11:49 -0600 (CST)

> Does anyone remember Cloverine Salve??

I think every comic book had an ad in the back showing how little Johnny
got filthy rich selling Cloverine Salve door-to-door. I think it was Johnny
that wound up with most of the salve.

I think the important thing about all these old remedies, is that it
reminds us that in the old days, simply staying alive was a major concern.
In the days before antibiotics, even minor injuries could result in death.
A couple of years ago I ran across one sad case from the late 1800s.
A smashed finger became infected which resulted in an amputated hand,
which became infected resulting in an amputated arm, which became infected
which resulted in death. Lest you think that this was only poor medical
practice, I remind you of Calvin Coolidge's son who stubbed his toe
playing tennis. Despite the best of medical treatment, he ended up dead.

I'm barely old enough to remember being scared of polio. Imagine how
our ancestors lived, spending their whole lives scared of a hundred
different things. Yet, they built a country.

Steve
http://www.chrysalis.org/stevem/

This thread: