ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1998-10 > 96674

From: "Pam Villanueva" <>
Subject: Re: NAME CHANGE
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 23:07:01 PST

I'm just taking a guess at this and could certainly be totally wrong,
but I would think the birth cert would be changed to reflect the new
name since the b. cert is required often as identification. I
understand the position of marriage not changing the b. certs because
the woman still retains that "identity", and is frequently asked her
maiden name. She doesn't have to change her name, or she can regain it
following annulment or divorce. But with a name change, like adoption,
the actual identity of that person does change. In California (can't
speak for other states) adopted children do get new birth certificates
reflecting the adoptive parents as their biological parents, with no
mention of adoption on those certs. And in the case of a woman, the new
name would become her maiden name. Just a thought! -Pam in CA