ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1998-12 > 99703

Subject: Re: ROOTS-L Digest V98 #1058
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 13:54:17 EST

<< Message: #4
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 21:20:38 PST
From: "A Whaley" <>
Subject: Thank you concerning esquire

My thanks to all the people who, online and personally, answered my
question concerning the title esquire. It is not possible to answer each
person individually. My curiousity has been piqued as my ggg grandfather
was a farmer in WVa and I have seen nothing to indicate he was an
attorney. According to the 1900 census, he owned his farm and it was not
mortgaged. In 1870 he is listed with value for his personal estate but
nothing is written down for his Real Estate. The librarian left me with
the impression that he didn't own land so I did not think of him as an
important landowner. I have not been able to get farther back on this
line so I have no idea if he was landed gentry at any time. He was from
English ancestry, however. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Many
thanks.

Angela Whaley

My great-grandfather, who lived in Barbour County, AL, was listed as Esquire
in his obituary in the newspaper in the early 1900s. He owned a large farm,
store, etc., and I assumed that was the reason. I think he was also a justice
of the peace.
Sidney

This thread: