ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1999-01 > 103228

From: "Rinner, Connie" <>
Subject: Old Estate Search in England
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:14:00 -0600

Does anyone know how to go about finding property that may have reverted to
the crown in England?

My ancestor, John Heflin, b. 1749/Kent, England, was disinherited by his
father when he ran away and married the gatekeeper's daughter, Mary Davis.
They came to America and settled in NC. He fought against England during
the Revolution. Anyway, my Dad used to tell that his generation of cousins
was the first to be able to claim that estate. His mother, Carrie Lee
Heflin Clements, received a letter from England in 1910 asking her to come
and claim the estate. None of her sisters or brothers wanted to claim
estate. They were all busy raising their families.

Since we are having a difficult time tracing this family to Kent (only
family story, no paper trail), I'm wondering if there is a way to trace
property that reverted to the crown in 1910, My Dad always said the
property was "confiscated".

Any tips would be appreciated.

This thread: