ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1999-04 > 108212

From: (Etta Daniels)
Subject: KUA Surname
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 20:20:05 -0800 (PST)

Aloha Everyone
I want to tell you all a story that begins in 1912.

A 14 year old Portuguese girl give birth to a baby boy on December 25,
1912 in Tacoma Washington in a home for unwedded mothers.

She keeps her baby and goes to Hawaii where she has family. Her name
is Laura Silva and she names her son Theodore Silva. Although many
family members use the name Barrios (may not be spelled correctly),
Times are hard and she cannot keep the baby. She give the baby to a
"police woman" and this woman give the baby to a Hawaiian couple (Henry
and Rebecca Kua) This is in 1913. Henry and Rebecca name their new son
Henry Kua. Little Henry grows up in the Lanakila (probably mispelled)
area. He goes to only the fifth grade an a catholic school. He has a
brother Miei Kua (a nephew of Henry and Rebecca) and a sister Rose (a
niece of Henry and Rebecca). Henry's father dies when he is 5 years old
(probably 1917) and Rebecca lives into the 1930's. Henry finds out that
he was never adopted but only given to the Hawaiian couple as a
guardianship). His mother Laura and his grandmother never understood
this so they were never able to reclaim him.

But...(I remember my father Henry telling me that he cried only twice in
his life. Once for the loss his wife and once for the loss of his
Hawaiian mother Rebecca) when they died.

Henry becomes a musician (guitar player) and later work at Peal Harbor
(during the attack) and then in 1952 took his family to San Francisco
and worked at Hunter's Point. He and his mother Laura. who marries and
becomes a Clardy, cross paths many times.

He locates his mother Laura Clardy in Washington. Laura dies in 1996
and Henry is still alive at age 85 in Washington.

I don't know about a happily ever after, but it would be great to find
family of either the Silva/Barrios line or the Kua line.

Please email me if you are part of this story.

Etta Rebecca Kua Daniels
Fresno, CA

This thread: