ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1999-04 > 108627

From: Bubba <>
Subject: Re: Need Birth Date from Death date
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 16:09:48 -0500

> Please help. My husband's ggrandfather died on September 7, 1934.
> He was 86 years, 6 months and 21 days. Can you tell me his
> birthdate. I really have trouble doing this.
> Thank you.

Carole, the ONLY way to compute his true birthdate is to enter the mind
of the person who determined 86yr06mo21da.

Trusting his mathematics is correct, I suggest the date of birth is
16Feb1848.

Depending upon the mental skills of the original computor, he could be
in error by a day, week, month or even a year.

I determined this date of birth based upon the "good ol' days," B.C.;
before computers.

I would suggest you begin further research beginning 01Jan1848; if you
find no reliable source, go back to 1847 and try that.

Recently, there has been published a "rule of 8870." This is only the
first part of the algorithm; many are ignorant of the second portion of
the step-wise function.

The rule of 8870 can be in error by several decades. Do not be duped;
apply your own common sense.

This thread: