ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1999-05 > 111291

From: Phil & Beverly <>
Subject: Re: IGI and Ancestral File information
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 20:37:25 +0000

> <> Hi fellow searchers,

If there is anyone who knows for sure where the IGI file information
originates, please fill ALL of us in. I have been told the IGI is from
microfilmed records and the Ancestral File is from family submitters. I
know there are errors in the Ancestral file on my family and I surely
would like to know if I can rely on the IGI!<

To respond to Bobbie and all others who may be wondering, I'm sorry to
say that you cannot rely on the IGI for total accuracy. While many of
the names in the IGI did indeed come from records extracted by the LDS
church, just as many have been sumbitted by members of the church and as
such contain many errors. To view these records as anything other than
great clues is a mistake.

--
Phil & Beverly
Mailto: