ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1999-12 > 123604

Subject: Flat as a Flitter/Fritter
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 23:37:00 EST

In a message dated 12/10/1999 7:21:47 PM Mountain Standard Time,

From: Gil & Sonia Murray <>
Subject: Fritters and flitters

> Irrelevant to your remark but do you know what a flitter is? What ethnic
group is it
> associated? My ancestry is Scots-Irish and I've heard the expression
"flat as a flitter"
> all my life yet I've never seen a flitter. Mom told me it was pancake
like a tortilla.

----------------------- >>
My husband suggest that you post this question on the Tyrone County query
board because he recalls that there was some discussion recently on this same
topic. He thinks it has something to do with a flat tea cake of some sort
that is eaten with tea.

I, myself, have heard an express similar to this: "flat as a fritter" which
is perhaps the same thing. I associate it with another expression: "flat as
a pancake." These are probably one and the same in context and idea. I
guess I'm dating myself because there are a lot of expression I personally
use that the "younger" folk don't know what I'm talking about, but the
"older" folk do.

This whole thing could be ethnic in origin, but I personally don't associate
the saying with any particular group. Therefore, I don't believe it has any
ethnicity in origin. Perhaps some of our forefather's used this expression
and it got passed down. Perhaps it became the "rage" during the 20's with
the flappers. Who knows? Does anyone?

Christie Trapp

This thread: