ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2000-02 > 128506

Subject: census and military
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 08:34:57 EST

I've been searching for a man who does not appear in any census in the area
where his daughter knows he lived...she was born there. He was also not in
any of the city directories.
Just recently she let me know he was military and lived on the post.
Well, I don't know for sure, but I don't believe people who lived on military
posts were counted in censuses in the past. I have found others who lived
off post in the same censuses.

I know for a fact, however, that my husband and I and our children were not
included in the 1960 and 1970 censuses. We were in Puerto Rico in 1960 and
Italy in 1970.
In 1980 we were retired military living off post and were included in the
census.

If you are unable to find a man in the census and you know he was in the
military, it may be because he was either in post housing or was overseas.

If this is wrong, please, do let me know.
Shirley

This thread: