ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2000-03 > 128969

From: Harold Davey <>
Subject: Choice of census forms
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 14:57:38 -0500

Charley,
Many thanks for your message. I believe the reason one cannot
elect to choose which form to complete lies in statistical sampling
rules, and not because the government works that way.
In 1936 an American magazine, I believe the Literary Digest,
conducted a poll among its subscribers that predicted overwhelmingly
that Alf Landon would defeat Franklin Roosevelt in the Presidential
election that year. In examining what went wrong, statisticians
concluded that limiting the respondents to subscribers of that
magazine skewed the sample so that it was not representative of the
American voting population. Allowing some census respondents to
select the long form, for example, might lead to an inaccurate sample
as the persons who so elect are probably not a true sample of the
entire population.

Harold