ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2000-03 > 130097

Subject: Re: ROOTS-L Digest V00 #233
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:53:05 EST

writes:

<<
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 06:21:38 +0900
From: "Sandi Little" <>
Subject: War of 1812 Pension File and Bounty Land Claim

I need information on how to request a War of 1812 pension file and bounty
land claim. I have an ancestor who was receiving a pension for serving in
the War of 1812 and he filed a bounty land claim for 160 acres of land for
that.

When I wrote to the Alabama Department of Archives requesting the
information on this individual, I received a standard form letter that they
had nothing on file for him. I happened upon a book that someone had
extracted information for widows of individuals from that War who was drawing
their pension in the 1880's. I sent away again for the widow's pension and
all I received was another abstracted copy of what someone had done. That is
how I knew this individual also received bounty land. Whoever did the
abstract had to have access to the documents. How can I receive copies of
these actual documents if I keep getting told nothing is on file for this
particular individual. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Sandi Little
Yokohoma Japan

This thread: