ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2000-03 > 130200

Subject: Re: Bright's Disease
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 10:58:09 EST

I want to thank everyone who responded to my question. I did not expect that
many answers and they all were appreciated greatly. I will add below a few
of the more helpful ones, since all I knew was that it was a disease to do
with the kidneys. Thanks everyone.

Rose

>From McGraw Hill Nursing Dictionary:

Bright's disease: Chronic glomerulonephritis

Glomerulonephritis: An acute, subacute or chronic, usually bilateral,
diffuse non suppurative inflammatory kidney disease primarily affecting the
glomeruli; characterized by proteinuria (protein in Urine), cylindruria
9the presence of cylindroids in the urine), hematuria (blood in urine)and
often edema, hypertension and nitrogen retention.<

>Bright's Disease is another name for the kidney disease,
glomerulonephritis, first described by the English physician Richard
Bright (1789-1858). It is an inflammation of the glomeruli (filtering
units of the kidney). Both kidneys are affected, although not all the
glomeroli are affected simultaneously. Damage to the glomeruli hampers
the removal of waste products, salt, and water from the bloodstream,
which may cause serious complications.<

>Brights disease is failure of the kidneys. My husband also had a gr.
grandfather who died of it. I was told by another relative, an old man here
in the community who remembered his grandfather, that he would swell up
terribly--fluid in legs, and body--and the Dr. had told them to have him
drink salt water, which they did every 2 or 3 days, and then carry him to the
"pot" where he would be able to lose a lot of the fluid, which would again
start to build up, until they did it all over again, till his death. They
didn't have much to do with, medically, back then.<

>Bright's Disease is another name for Nephritis. It is inflammation of the
kidneys<

This thread: