ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2000-03 > 130547

From: "Helen S. Ullmann" <>
Subject: More on verifying IGI data
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:03:30 -0500

wrote:

> This person who is complaining about the IGI files maybe having the same
> difficulty that I encountered with an IGI file beginning with the letter M
> (if I remember correctly). Those are the file which are inaccessible by we
> non members and I do have to admit probably not easy to understand, why. I
> was able to go on and verify they marriage but unable to see who had
> submitted the material for sealing. You were very helpful at the time. You
> might again explain to the new people just beginning to utilize the LDS
> resources the different letters and their accessibility.
>
> Priscilla Kruger Mowinkel

This is a kind of complicated subject. As in my previous message, I
suggest new users of the IGI take a look at my article at
http://www.livgenmi.com/fhcigi.htm

However, this doesn't go into detail about the various letters and
numbers found as "batch numbers" in the IGI.

First, I think you are mistaken about the letter M. You probably meant
something else. This should be one of the easiest to verify. Batch numbers
beginning with M and C refer to extractions directly from civil or church
records, M for marriages and C for christenings or birth records. You
can order the microfilm referenced and look at the original record.
That's the easy part.

When you see a batch number beginning with F and with numbers from 69 through
about 90 (or with just those numbers and no F) you can then look at the source
number which is a microfilm. Between about 1970 and around 1990 members of the
church submitted their research on entry forms which, when they arrived in Salt
Lake were assigned to a batch of 99 pages and given a page (or sheet)
number. A number of batches were then microfilmed together on one film.
You can either order the film or get a photoduplication form from the
Family History Center and order photocopies of the relevant pages. These
forms will give sources and addresses. The numbers 69 through 90 refer to
1969-1990, the year in which the entry was received in Salt Lake, and thus
they give you an idea of how old the entry is.

When you see a batch number beginning with A, don't go for the microfilm. Look
instead for a family group sheet filed alphabetically by the husband's name
between 1942 and 1969. To find these, go into the Family History Library
Catalog and search for the film number 1275000. This will put you into an
alphabetical list of microfilms. These sheets contain sources and ancient
addresses of submitters. Most of the time you will find the couple there.

Now, as to the records which are inaccessible to non-members (and to some
members by the way): If you try to order a microfilm of old temple records, be
sure to look it up by film number in the catalog. Look at the very end of the
listing. If it says "restricted" or "no circulation to family history centers,"
then you can't get it. Neither can a member working at a family history
center. Many of these temple films are restricted (for reasons of privacy I
believe) and MANY ARE NOT. However, they may not be very useful to you. If you
really want to see what's on a restricted film, hire a church member in Salt
Lake to go into the Special Collections room. (Get a list of accredited
genealogists from the Family History Library - though this won't tell you who is
a member of the church).

Some of these temple records can be very helpful and others will just be a list
of names brought in by the same person with no additional information.

Sources and submitters for records submitted by members on disk after 1990 are
inaccessible to all.

I think this has gotten long enough. Come to my talk at the NGS Conference in
Providence in May.

--
Helen S. Ullmann, CG
713 Main St.