ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2000-05 > 132228

From: "Carl House" <>
Subject: SS# of living people
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 16:41:17 GMT

I have provided a link below to the privacy act of 1974.

You will be surprised that only the federal government is strictly
controlled in how the SS# is disseminated, many business are exempt from it
as are local and state governments.

No wonder ID thief is on the raise and those responsible are not being held
accountable for it, they simple make money off selling your information. and
leave you to clean up the mess they created.

Sorry its off topic a little.

Carl

http://www.tncrimlaw.com/foia/VII_A.html

>From: Charles Pelton <>
>Subject: Re: SS #'s of live people on the Internet
>
>Is this question for real? I cannot image anyone would post that number,
>let alone a listing of them for many individuals, for all to see - AND
>USE - if they so desired. Remember folks - there are those who look for
>suckers to bite the apple! Charles L. Pelton

>From: Steven Dhuey <>
>Subject: Social Security numbers of the living
>

> >Some was trying to find SS# of living people. I thought that was illegal
> >

>The Social Security Administration does not give out that information on
>living people, but it is not illegal. Social Security numbers can be culled
>from public sources, including federal court documents. There is, of
>course, the potential for abuse.
>
>-Steve

This thread: