ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2000-05 > 132238

From: "John Clement" <>
Subject: USA military records, how to get 'em
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 15:48:27 -0600

Quoting Valerie Scheer message of 2 May 00,

> I would very much like to get his records stating what he
> died of, etc., but don't know how to go about getting military
> records.

First step in requesting U.S. military records. This is a canned
message, most of which has been abstracted from instructions
contained on Standard Form 180 (rev. 4-96).

(Notes 1 and 2 are at end of this message.)

U.S. Air Force, all categories (note 1)

U.S. Coast Guard, officers separated before 1 Jan 1929 (note 2)
U.S. Coast Guard, enlisted separated before 1 Jan 1915 (note 2)
U.S. Coast Guard, all other categories (note 1)

U.S. Marine Corps, members separated before 1 Jan 1905 (note 2)
U.S. Marine Corps, all other categories (note 1)

U.S. Army, officers separated before 1 Jul 1917 (note 2)
U.S. Army, enlisted separated before 1 Nov 1912 (note 2)
U.S. Army, all other categories (note 1)

U.S. Navy, officers separated before 1 Jan 1903 (note 2)
U.S. Navy, enlisted separated before 1 Jan 1886 (note 2)
U.S. Navy, all other categories (note 1)

Note 1. Write to Nat'l Personnel Records Center (Military
Records), NARA, 9700 Page Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63132 and ask
for Standard Form 180.

Or, you may download StdForm 180 at

http://www.nara.gov/regional/mprsf180.html

You will need the FREE Adobe Acrobat .PDF Reader at:

http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/readstep.html

Note 2. Write to Military Archives Division, Nat'l Archives and
Records Administration, Washington, DC 20408 and ask for NATF
Form 80.

Or using Email, you can obtain the NATF Form 80 by providing
your name and mailing address to - be sure to
specify "Form 80" and the number of forms you need.

HINT: When your request is worked on by the clerks, they will
send you what is called "selected items" from the record, items
thought to be of genealogical value by the clerks.

Nevertheless, the "unselected" items may contain information
valuable to you. To receive these remaining documents, write
across the top of the form in red ink, "Please mail all
documents in the file." This will result in additional cost, but
may be well worth it.

---
John Clement, 6940 E. Girard 205, Denver, CO 80224-2917
Email: Voice: 303-691-0613
Permanent Email address:

This thread: