ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2000-05 > 132298

From: "Amelia O. Debusman" <>
Subject: Re: ?Writ of Estrepment
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 20:20:10 -0400

I asked my daughter who is a lawyer and this is her reply. I hope it is
helpful.

Amelia

It is a common law writ (complaint) of waste, which lay particular for the
reversioner (the person entitled to the land after the tenant for life is gone)
against the tenant for life, in respect of damage or injury to the land
committed by the latter. As it is only an auxiliary to a real action for
recovery of the land, the writ fell into disuse in England and was abolished.

At 10:39 AM 5/3/00 -0700, Linda K. Jones wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I have the following reference for an ancestor, George DOBSON, I'm
>researching and need to understand what the term "Writ of Estrepment"
>means. Any help is gratefully welcomed.
>
>Civil Court Docket, Bedford County (PA), January Term, 1819
>
>George LUCAS, George DOBSON, George LUCAS and Lillie Ann, his wife, and
>David ANDERSON and Jennet his wife, vs Griffith MICKEL and John MICKEL.
>Writ of Estrepment in Suit #28 of August Term 1812.
>
>The resource was: Pennsylvania 1800-1850. (1986). vl, nl. The
>Heritage Society of Pennsylvania. P. O. Box 146. Laughlintown, PA
>15655.
>
>Thanks and take care - Linda K. Jones

This thread: