ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2000-05 > 132313

Subject: Descendants of Nicholas Smith
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 13:34:57 EDT

Hi All,

Someone in the Rootsweb SMITH surname website, under the above heading, shows
#44 Josiah Smith b. York Co. S.C., d. Randolph Co., Mo. Josiah has also been
shown as listed on the 1880 census in Macon, Co. Mo., in this report.

My husband's Aunt has told us we have connections to Macon Co., Mo. Smiths!
The only known info we have at this point for that County is:

Charles Riley Smith b. Westport, Decatur Co., Ind Mar 19, 1844, d. Oct 15,
1917, Marion Co., Ind
He married: June 3, 1866 in Callao, MACON CO., Mo. to
Lou/Louisa/Luella Jane Boyer b. Jan 6 1847, Bartholomew Co., Ind,
d. July 22, 1890 in Decatur Co., Ind.

The first (Clinton A. Smith) of their 8 children was born Feb 3, 1868,in
Callao, MACON CO.., Mo. and the remaining 7 children were born in Decatur
Co., Ind.

Charles Riley's Father was, Charles Richardson Smith either 37 or 27 was b.
in Ky ( per the 1850 Census) and his mother Ann Wood either 24 or 26 b. in
Ohio (this also per the 1850 Census) . The ages are some what in question
because of the difficulty in reading the record.

I have given you all this info. because we have felt that Charles and Lou J.
got Married in Macon Co. because they probably had family connections in
Macon Co.?
We have been unable to find the Smith name in Macon county until I saw the
reference to Josiah being there in the 1880 Census PLUS HIS CHILDREN.

COULD SOMEONE DO A LOOK-UP for Josiah SMITH in the 1880 Census? Maybe that
would help us?

Does anyone have any other information on this family that may help us?

This has been a real brick wall! We don't know Charles Richardson OR Lou J.
Boyer's ancestors and can't find them either! Thought that if were able to
make the Macon Co., connection it might give us some direction.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Lynne B in Indiana

This thread: