ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2000-05 > 132712

Subject: Substitutes for draftees
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 15:23:07 EDT

Several people responded to my question regarding the age range eligible for
draft to fight in the Revolutionary War with the thought that all ages
qualified to fight. The question was asked because we've been trying to
pinpoint a birth date for George Cowger. Different sources said he was born
anywhere between 1735 and 1755. He fought in the Dunmore's War in 1774 and
died about 1786 leaving behind 3 children under the age of 10. My husband
descends from George and Hannah Hawes Cowger through his first son Henry.

>From the Rev. War Pension Applications, p. 77 it states that Biechynden,
Charles. S.6656 "In Aug. 1780 he engaged as a substitute for George Cowgar of
(then) Hampshire County who had been drafted for three months, against the
Indians and to build a fort at Point Pleasant. The company of Hampshire
militia was commanded by Capt. Messer and Lieut. Joseph Lindow." This person
also substituted from 1778 to 1781 for James Dyer and others. He lived to be
about 76 years old. It was interesting to note when studying the vendue for
George Cowger that Charles Biechynden was mentioned concerning a judgment
against him.

Sandra

This thread: