ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2000-05 > 132926

From: William Phemister <>
Subject: Isaac Watts's tombstone
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:52:20 -0500 (CDT)

Just back after a long absence. Leaving for London in 2 days. My daughter
lives on City Road with the Bunhill Fields Dissenters Cemetery in her
backyard, literally! Watts' tombstone looks a mess, with moss growing all
over it. Where are all the loyal believers in Watts as the Father of
English Hymnody when you need them? I will be there for 3 weeks and would
like to discern the true state of the stone, why it hasn't been kept up, if
I can initiate a cleaning project without bringing down the wrath of the
Government or the Quaint Tombstone crowd. I remember reading in the past
on ROOTS-L various recipes for cleaning but discarded them as not being
important to me then. Who has a suggestion? I hope to get proper
permission to work on this in broad daylight, without having to let myself
down from Susan's balcony on a rope, Rapunzel-style, in the middle of the
night to work by candlelight. I'm also happy to abandon the whole idea if
it seems too idiotic. I teach Hymnody at Wheaton College and this seems
like the kind of project I should be throwing myself into in my spare time,
don't you think so?

This thread: