ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2000-05 > 133358

From: "Dee" <>
Subject: Using copyrighted material
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 23:28:58 -0400

I occasionally see words of warning to a person who is doing a
look-up or helping out others and copying from an article or book. I
am curious if there is a copyright lawyer who would answer the below
1-4 scenarios that I think all genealogists could be involved in and
would really like to know.

Hopefully, because of my limited knowledge of legal terms and legal
sentence construction, a simple yes or no would really help me out.

If one copies from a genealogy magazine article; genealogy newsletter,
quarterly; or a current copyrighted genealogy book (one sentence,
one paragraph, one column, one page, or a chapter) that is in a
library or that one buys, is one liable for prosecution if one

1) uses it in one's personal genealogy program and then footnotes it
2) uses it in one's personal genealogy program and then footnotes it
and then copies it and sends it to a friend, including the footnote
3) uses it in one's personal genealogy program and then footnotes it
and then copies it and sends it to a list, including the footnote
4) uses it in one's personal genealogy program and then footnotes it
and then copies it and when sending a gedcom to any website that
collects gedcom's, all including footnotes

Thanks so very much.
Dee Randall

This thread: