ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2001-08 > 0997109403

Subject: [ROOTS-L] Nicknames, etc.
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 10:50:03 EDT

Although the past postings have been about nicknames I think it is helpful that, especially those new to geneology, know that many times folks who immigrated changed their names sometimes because the name was difficult for others to pronounce and in some cases because the people wanted to escape persecution and discrimination. Some may have wanted to really start with a clean slate. My ggrandfather's parents came from Prussia with the surname Hufschmidt. My ggrandfather's his first name was Fritz Hufschmidt. Sometime after their arrival here in the US the name was changed to Hufsmith sometimes spelled Huffsmith, depending on which record your looking at..The first name changed to Fred and sometimes Frederick, again depending on which record you are looking at. It took me a long while to find Fritz/Fred, thank goodness for the LDS site because that's where he showed up. Actually it was my ggrandmother I found first and there he was. Just a heads up to folks who are new!
t!
o this fastinating world of ance
stors. Never take for granted that the surname you are researching was always that exact spelling and in some cases is a really different take on the original surname. Sure can get confusing sometimes. Regards, Rosemary in Tucson, AZ

This thread: