ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-02 > 1014871031

From: "Kathy Hodge" <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] On tombstone: KSHTWSST ?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:37:11 -0600

My Original Query:

Can anyone help me interpret this tombstone engraving? The following letters
appear in all capital letters in a circle above the person's name on the
tombstone: K S H T W S S T The letters are spaced out equally so I don't
know where I should start reading them. The K appears at 9 o'clock, the H at
12 o'clock, the W at 3 o'clock, and so on. Each letter is equally
spaced around the circle.

Answer:

The letters are read starting with the H so that it is H T W S S T K S . It
refers to a Masonic motto for a specific degree or level of Freemasonry. The
motto associated with this particular degree is denoted by H T W S S T K S
(Hyram Tyrian, Widows Son Sent To King Solomon). In less than an hour of
submitting my query, I'd heard from Bill Pratt with this URL where I found
detailed information.
http://www.angelfire.com/mac/freemasonic/Home/THEINI_1/Mark_Master/body_mark
_master.HTM The URL is long enough that it may wrap to a second line. If so,
you'll have to paste both parts in your browser to reach the site.

Thanks so much to Bill and Aric and the others I heard from. You guys are
terrific!

Kathy

This thread: