ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-04 > 1019606527

From: "Ty Newnham" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Rumours and Relatives
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:32:07 +0930

Hi, still waiting for birth certs, been 3 weeks now, I think they are being sent sea-mail by convict ship! (UK to Aus)
Anyway, I wanted to ask about rumours and hearsay: have any others been misled? Because my dad died when I was 14, and rarely spoke about his family, I have such a mishmash of hearsay to wade through. IE: we are related to Fletcher Christian (mutiny on the Bounty) through his grandmother: I think this is just wishful thinking...although I'd love it to be true, also rumours of gold smuggling ancestors, more likely to be true, meanwhile here I am unable to even work out which grandparent was born where!
good hunting to all, I love this list! Ty, South Australia.
Ps, any ideas about finding out about conscientious objectors, ww2, my dad was one, prbably locked up in Birmingham, UK. I don't know where to start or even if prisoners' records do get released. Any others with shady pasts out there?

This thread: