ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-09 > 1032767722

From: "John Andrew Prime" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Popularity of genealogy
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 02:55:22 -0500

Fellow ROOTers:

I've been a newspaper reporter for 25+ years and an avid amateur genealogist
for more than a decade, and am now trying to convince my editor that there
is a need for a genealogy column at our newspaper, which is in Northwest
Louisiana and reaches about 100,000 subscribers. This region has a rich
history from around 1830 on and was a major way point for folks fleeing the
turmoil of the Civil War and heading west in the decades after. Our paper
tended to focus on people, and is a rich source of information on births,
marriages and so on from say 1880 to the present. The paper is indexed for
the years 1872 to 1899, and there are good regional resources for
researchers also. I think there would be good reception for a weekly column
where people reading the print product or our online edition could pose
"brick wall" type queries and, after providing what research we can do at
the paper, ask readers and online folks for help. In other words, an
interactive genealogy column.

The problem is this: Like most papers, we are focusing on what interests the
20-34 age group. What research of late could demonstrate the popularity of
genealogy among this or any other age group? Have there been any recent
demographic studies to show the growth of genealogy as a hobby? I need ammo,
friends. Help me out!

Best wishes,

John Andrew Prime
Shreveport, LA.