ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-09 > 1032875973

From: "Chris and Tom Tinney, Sr." <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Popularity of genealogy
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 06:59:33 -0700

Try this morning's search of News at Google:
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=genealogy&btnG=Google+Search
The first two entries are:

Genealogy's Lucrative Online Niche
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/23/technology/23ECOM.html?ex=1033531200&en=8db99ae702e1fb00&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE
New York Times - 8 hours ago
... $100 million level? It is not dating services or dieting services
or consumer ratings. The answer is genealogy. Once largely the ...

Genealogy services thrive on Web
http://www.taipeitimes.com/news/2002/09/24/story/0000169297
Taipei Times, Taiwan - 9 hours ago
... and annual revenue approaching the US$100 million level? The answer is
genealogy. Once largely the province of Civil War buffs, Mormons ...

NOTE: [While the numbers are difficult to
prove, what is certain is that few other categories
of service have induced consumers to pay for
subscriptions in greater numbers than genealogy has.]

The Center of Local Chronicles and Genealogies,
presented by the National Library of China, with
their over one billion population, should give
to you some indication of what the future holds.
http://www.nlc.gov.cn/newpages/english/serve/clrg.htm

[The Center is making efforts to develop
and utilize documents of local records.
It has completed several database projects,
such as "Index of Biographies in Chinese
Local Records", "Index of Papers on
Chinese Local Records" and "System
of Bibliographical Retrieval of Local
Records", by integrating traditional
culture and modern technologies.]

Respectfully yours,

Tom Tinney, Sr.
Genealogy and History
http://www.academic-genealogy.com/geneal.htm

--------------------------------------

John Andrew Prime wrote:

>Fellow ROOTers:
>
>I've been a newspaper reporter for 25+ years and an avid amateur genealogist
>for more than a decade, and am now trying to convince my editor that there
>is a need for a genealogy column at our newspaper, which is in Northwest
>Louisiana and reaches about 100,000 subscribers. This region has a rich
>history from around 1830 on and was a major way point for folks fleeing the
>turmoil of the Civil War and heading west in the decades after. Our paper
>tended to focus on people, and is a rich source of information on births,
>marriages and so on from say 1880 to the present. The paper is indexed for
>the years 1872 to 1899, and there are good regional resources for
>researchers also. I think there would be good reception for a weekly column
>where people reading the print product or our online edition could pose
>"brick wall" type queries and, after providing what research we can do at
>the paper, ask readers and online folks for help. In other words, an
>interactive genealogy column.
>
>The problem is this: Like most papers, we are focusing on what interests the
>20-34 age group. What research of late could demonstrate the popularity of
>genealogy among this or any other age group? Have there been any recent
>demographic studies to show the growth of genealogy as a hobby? I need ammo,
>friends. Help me out!
>
>Best wishes,
>
>John Andrew Prime
>Shreveport, LA.