ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1033501269

From: Bubba <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] SeaBees ...
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 14:41:09 -0500

> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 19:52:31 -0400
> From: "Floyd Timson"
> Subject: SeaBees
>
> As pointed out in a previous message, Seabees is for the Navy
> Construction Battalion. There is a Seabees museum at the Sea Bees
> base in
> Biloxi MS. I had a chance to visit it a couple of years ago. They
> should have some reference material there.

Floyd, I seem to remember a John Wayne movie during his earlier years.
I claim much ignorance; you are certainly solicited to correct me. (I
have done no true research.) I am an Artillery Brat with little
knowledge of the USNavy; however, I am a civil engineer. Perhaps this
is the reason I seem to remember these thoughts.

During WWII, the "original" SeaBees (CBs) were civilian construction
companies/workers contracted to perform certain civil works in combat
areas in concert with the Marines. However, the Navy could/would not
permit civilians to arm themselves in defense of our AXIS enemies, even
while submitted under firefight in a combat zone.

After the many pleas to protect themselves, USA finally submitted and
permitted the construction workers to arm themselves, but only if they
represented the USA military. Certain congressional rules were broken,
amended, rejected, ignored, etc., and inducted the workers into the USA
military without qualification. The construction workers were formed as
an individual, special, construction battalion.

Thus was born the USNavy Construction Battalion, now more commonly known
as the "SeaBees."

I'll never understand why the Navy, a strange lot anyway, didn't use the
centuries-old "Engineers," as does the USArmy.

I figger, USNavy just has to be different.

You reckon?

This thread: