ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1033560109

From: "Ronni" <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Archaic Term
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 08:01:49 -0400

> I am looking for an archaic term that was used for a couple who
> slept in the same bed before they were married. I don't know
> why that occasion would occur but there was a division in

Are you perhaps referring to a "bundling board"? I first read about this custom in David Fischer's
"Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America," pp. 79-80:

"Customs of courtship in New England were carefully designed to allow young people privacy enough to
discover if they loved one another, at the same time that parents maintained close supervision. This was
the purpose of the 'bundling,' a European custom which became widespread in New England. The
courting couople were put to bed together, 'tarrying' all night with a 'bundling board' between them.
Sometimes the young woman's legs were bound together in a 'bundling stocking' which fitted her body
like a glove."

BTW, I highly recommend "Albion's Seed."

-- Ronni

This thread: