ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1033569907

Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: "blister rust" project ROOTS-L Digest V02 #535
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 10:45:07 EDT

In a message dated 9/30/02 10:34:53 AM, writes:

<< Pa sharpened saws and
worked on the "blister rust" project, where they would cut down pine trees
affected by the "blister rust" so that it would not spread to other trees. >>

As a new high school graduate in 1949, I worked on a "blister rust" program
for the US Forest Service in northern Idaho. We concentrated on rooting out
plants that spread the disease among the white pines - hard work, but
satisfying in a way. We lived in a tent camp originally created for the
Civilian Conservation Corps [CCC], so the equipment and facilities were still
in use. When the fire season started we had on-the-job-training as fire
fighters. I imagine our work was very similar to what was done 10 years
earlier.

Dick Dunagan in WI

This thread: