ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1033622468

From: Sharon McBride <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] How do I find ancestors who went to America
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 13:21:08 +0800

Hi All,
Although I have been doing family history research for many years I have
concentrated on Australian, English, Scottish & Irish records & know little
of what records are available for researching in America where some of the
relatives ended up.

Will fill you in on the family.
Patrick HARLEY b about 1822 in Donegal, Ireland & Margaret HOUSTON b about
1831 in Donegal, Ireland were married in 1849 in Dalry, Ayrshire, Scotland,
where both families had gone, probably due to the potato famine.
Children were:
Mary HARLEY b 1851, m John MOLLOY (this is my line, they came to Australia
1879)
John HARLEY b 1853, m Hannah MORGAN
Patrick HARLEY b 1855
Bridget HARLEY b 1858
Barnet (Bernard) HARLEY b 1860
Charles HARLEY b 1862
Margaret HARLEY b 1865
Peter HARLEY b 1867
Catherine HARLEY b 1869, m Thomas FLANNAGAN in Oklahoma
Ellen (Nellie) HARLEY b 1872 - became a Nun at ( Sister Mary Camillus
Harley) St Mary's Academy, Oklahoma in 1891 - died 1965 aged 93 years &
buried in Resurrection Cemetery, Oklahoma.

I believe it was not long after my great grandparents left Scotland for
Australia in 1879 that the rest of the family left for America. As well as
the HARLEY family, the mother Margaret's (nee HOUSTON) family also went to
America. This family was:

Patrick HOUSTON b 1807, Ireland & wife Mary b 1807, Ireland & children:
Margaret HOUSTON b 1833 - m Patrick HARLEY
Patrick HOUSTON b 1836 m Catherine BUTLER
Mary HOUSTON b 1839 m William NICOL
Manis HOUSTON b 1842
Peter HOUSTON b 1844 m Margaret HANLON
John HOUSTON b 1846

Because so many members of the family made their home in America, I
probably have quite a few relatives over there. Any suggestions on how to
proceed would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sharon

Sharon McBride