ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1033624197

From: Lannie Walker <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: ROOTS-L Digest V02 #542 Bundling Revisited One More Time!
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 00:49:57 -0500

I have read all the discussion about what Bundling meant
but I thought that I would throw in the WHY. A courting
couple in the winter time wanted to be alone and about the
only place was in an unheated bedroom (I was raised without
gas or electricity myself) and to keep warm they needed to
be in bed and covered up but since mommy & daddy didn't
trust that there would be no hanky panky, they came up
with that plank business. However, it wasn't hanky panky
proof, so then came the "shotgun wedding".
That about sums it up.
lannie

wrote:

> ROOTS-L Digest Volume 02 : Issue 542
>
> Today's Topics:
> #1 Re: BUNDLEING []

> Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 08:22:15 EDT
> Subject: Re: Archaic Term
>
> In a message dated 10/1/02 10:11:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> writes:
>
> > Subject: Archaic Term
> >
> > I am looking for an archaic term that was used for a couple who slept in
> > the same bed before they were married. I don't know why that occasion
> > would occur but there was a division in the bed to keep them a part.
> > The word "spooning" comes to mind but that's not the word I'm looking for.
> > I appreciate any help with the word. Thanks in advance.
> > Jason Phelps
> >

> "Bundling" comes to mind. The male was encased in a large pillowcase sewn
> shut by the girl's mother.
>
> Dawn Street

This thread: