ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1033645618

From: " kathy quarti"<>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Occupation??? or title only
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 04:46:58 -0700

Need help with the frequent use of the word Esq. after my g-g-grandfather's
name? He was a moderately well known gentleman in St. Louis, Mo. in the mid
1800's.
I know now-of-days Esquire is used to indicate a profession of lawyer. Was it
the same in the middle/late 1800's?? Maybe only a title given him by an
orginazation he belonged to??
I question this mans lawyer status since he was also the first Fire
department Chief in St. Louis, Mo. and maintained that fire fighter occup.
life long. By his admission he also worked as "water dept. worker",
blacksmith, tinsmith, and surveyor. How could he have all these jobs in about
a 20 yr. period??
These professions were by his admission-via a short autobiography he gave to
a reporter of the local newspaper and listed the above occupations himself. In
that interview he said nothing of the Esquire status or if he was a lawyer.
But, subsequent newspaper articles always referred to him as "Esq." Also in
the death notice and various written items concerning him the word Esquire
comes up frequently???? very confusing.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Your information may help me look in
areas of St. Louis that I have not explored yet.
SEARCHING: Schmidt, Geins, Hull, Meadows, Baker, Olds, Peabody, Monroe, Lewis
(Canada), Johnston, Gartside. All in St. Louis, Mo. and immediate Ill. area.

This thread: