ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1033701448

From: "Jennie Vertrees" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: MO Birth Certificates and Bundling
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 22:17:28 -0500

I would like to answer both of these in one writing. Just last week I got a birth certificate on a deceased person in Missouri. I gave my relationship to the person and wrote in the "Why do you want this document" that I wanted it for genealogical purposes and I got it within 15 minutes. I go to Jefferson City from time to time and get birth and death certificates for my records and I've never been turned down on any of them.

If you've really gotten down to the basics in history or have had college courses in sociology, you will have had to be in contact with "Bundling." It was a fact of life in the 1800s and earlier here in America. When a boy visited a girl and got caught at her home after dark for whatever reason, the young people would be wrapped tightly in blankets and then a board was put between them in the bed. After all, there were never any spare beds and that was one way of taking care of any problems before they ever occurred. I never saw the question on the list, but there was a 4-word "answer" to an apparent question about bundling.

In the Westward Movement, there was another term, which you may find in genealogical research and that is "Jumping the broom." I first encountered it when tracking a distant relative in the early 1800s into Illinois. He and his bride to be had to "Jump the broom" as they had to go halfway across the state of Illinois to find a preacher or a Justice of the Peace to marry them. The young couple would jump over a broom in front of witnesses, who would attest that they witnessed the event and the couple was considered married until they could find a preacher or a J.P. to marry them. Very recently I ran into another interesting term called "Over the road marriages." I have a curiosity a mile long and couldn't rest until I found out what it meant, especially since one of my family members was in such a list This was a list kept by a circuit rider of marriages he had performed and hadn't had a chance to get them to a court house in the area for recording. He kept putting the!
m in a book until he could get to the court house.

This thread: