ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1033755875

From: "Lorine McGinnis Schulze" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: Olive Tree Genealogy
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 14:24:35 -0400

On 4 Oct 2002 at 11:38, wrote:

> Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 06:27:45 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Tony Tubbs <>
> Subject: Re: OliveTree; Attachments; Ancestry
>
> OliveTree
> I don't see any databases on OliveTree either. If

Hello Tony,

It seems you are missing my free databases (over 500 now) by
doing one of two things - -

1. You are clicking on OFF site links (to other sites, not
mine)

~ OR ~

2. You are not letting each page load, then scrolling down past
the top bit.

Every page on Olive Tree has the same head, side and bottom.
That is to help visitors know they are on my site, and not
someone else's.

The trick then is to scroll DOWN to the lists of Olive Tree's
databases!

Don't just start clicking on links as soon as you are on the
page you want. Scroll down, read what is there, look for my
Olive Tree button to show my own databases, and enjoy.

Here is an example - Go to my SHIPS PASSENGER LISTS section at
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/

See the top of the page? You will see the identical top on
every page you go to on my site.

Scroll down - next you see the menu choices for that particular
section (in this case, it is SHIPS)

Now you choose by country of arrival; ethnic immigration; or
state of arrival.

Let's choose PENNSYLVANIA. You click, and are taken to
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tousa_pa.shtml

The page looks the same. But it's not! Scroll down - see the
heading "SHIPS' PASSENGER LISTS TO PENNSYLVANIA " Go past there
- first you see OFFSITE DATABASES (click on those only if you
don't want to look at my ships lists)

Next you see a heading "SEARCH FOR ANCESTORS IN SHIPS PASSENGER
LISTS TO PENNSYLVANIA" That's my custom built search engine. It
searches many sites (not just mine) for ships lists to PA.

Keep going (but try out the search engine if you want - all
ships lists it brings up are FREE)

The very next heading you see is "1681" then you see the start
of the ships lists. Mine are marked with my Olive Tree picture,
offsite lists are marked with a little off-site button.

Since I want ships to PA in the 1700s, let's click on the link
for that page (it's near the bottom)--
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tousa_pa170049.shtml

Now you see the same head, the same search box, a list of off
site links and then a heading "1727"

Now come my ships lists!

List of ships names and dates of sailings to Philadelphia PA
from 1727 to 1808 - courtesy of Ken McCrae
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/palship_list.shtml

Adventure Galley 1727 from the Palatinate Germany
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/palship16.shtml

The Friendship Oct. 1727 from the Palatinate Germany
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/palship09.shtml

William & Sarah 1727 from the Palatinate Germany
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/palship27.shtml

James Goodwill 1727 from the Palatinate Germany
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/palship14.shtml

Molly Sept. 1727 from the Palatinate Germany
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/palship11.shtml

and so on ..for 1728, etc.

I really hope this little explanation has helped. If anyone
else has trouble finding my databases, write to me in private
() and I'll gladly walk you through whatever it
is you are looking for.

Olive Tree is a very large site - over 1500 pages (phew!). I
realize it may sometimes be tricky to find what you want, but
I'm always around to help.

I think you may also be referring to my USA Genealogy pages at
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/usa_genealogy/

For those, it's the same deal -) The head, side and bottom are
the same on every page. I have many links there - it's a
directory of
sorts. Some links lead to my own databases (marked with my
little Olive Tree), some are to rootsweb free databases, or
other free
databases on other sites -- and a few lead to pay to view
databases. If I think the database is good, I link to it. The
majority are free;
a few are not.

Please don't think you are going in circles - just let each
page load completely, then scroll, down to look at each
category (census,
cemetery, land records, church, immigration, letters from
settlers, etc) before you make your choice.

Good luck!
Lorine

Lorine McGinnis Schulze
--