ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1033888351

From: joe <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: Naturalization Records...Illinois?
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 01:12:31 -0600

Hello Nancy,

First, you might find him in one of the indexes here...

Online Illinois Naturalization Indexes
http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/illinoisnat.html

If not, then go here for some research tips...

Finding US Naturalization Records
http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/naturalizationrecords.html

For Illinois there is a soundex index available on microfilm from the
National Archives...

Microfilm Series: M1285

Title: Soundex Index to Naturalization Petitions for the United States
District and Circuit Courts, Northern District of Illinois, and
Immigration and Naturalization Service District 9, 1840-1950 (179 rolls).

It covers the following Illinois counties: Boone, Bureau, Carroll,
Champaign, Cook, DeKalb, DuPage, Ford, Fulton, Grundy, Henderson, Henry,
Iroquois, Jo Daviess, Kane, Kankakee, Kendall, Knox, Lake, LaSalle, Lee,
Livingston, Marshall, McHenry, McLean, Mercer, Ogle, Peoria, Putnam,
Rock Island, Stark, Stephenson, Tazewell, Vermilion, Warren, Whiteside,
Will, Winnebago, and Woodford.

It's also available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City so
you can order the rolls from any local Family History Center.

Good luck with your search.

Regards,
Joe

Nancy Wilkinson <> wrote:

>My ggrandfather was naturalized in Illinois in 1885. Can someone tell
me where
>to write for his papers, and how much it would cost to get it? Many
thanks in
>advance!
>
>Nancy

This thread: