ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1033918370

Subject: [ROOTS-L] Mathews(Matthews)/Biddix/Connor/Goff/Jones/Pack - NC Search
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 11:32:50 EDT

Its been a couple of years, so I figured I'd try to post this search again.

I am researching the following surnames:
Mathews (Matthews) sometimes spelled Mathis or Mathus
Biddix
Connor
Goff
Jones
Pack

This extremely large family is originally from Buncombe County, North
Carolina. The father is David M. Mathews (Matthews/Mathis/Mathus) born in
1871, died in 1935 and the mother is Ellen Smith Mathews born in 1875, died
in 1952. They owned a large plot of land adjacent to Gashes Creek Cemetary
which was subdivided in the early 40's and sold in the late 60's to make way
for I74 and I40. I believe they had 9 children named William (Will), Melvin,
Minnie Lee, Lillie Mae, Susie Eller (Ella), Daisy, Mary Lou Pearl,
Clarence, and Algie David. Some of the family relocated to other parts of
the country namely William Mathews moved to Maryland, and Mary Lou Pearl (who
later married a man named Connor) moved to Ohio, more specifically Cleveland.
I am currently looking into the land aspect of the project with the North
Carolina Department of Transportation, who have been extremely helpful and
kind. I also have alot of information about the cemetary and transcriptions
on the stones from a multitude of sources including but not limited to the 5
book set by Carolyn C. Aslund & Billie C. Ledbetter. (Book 2 in particular
is a fount of information for me).

Anyone with further information, please contact me either through the
listserv, or privately off-line.

This thread: