ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1034082804

From: "... valentine53179" <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Family Bibles
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 08:13:24 -0500

Our Catholic families in the 1800/early 1900's had Family Bibles...

I suspect that in the early years, since there were no churches in the
areas where they settled, they did their OWN RELIGIOUS thing until their
friendly Jesuit arrived in town as part of his circuit...... We have
noticed that as the churches were built, that the use of the BIBLE as the
tool of reading religious passages became less prominent and as the civil
offices became more active, recordings of MBD became less important to the
family.... the task carried out during the visit to town and the CLERK's
office.........

THIS in the upper peninsula of Michigan and in the THousand Islands Area
of Canada near Kingston....

hope this give you a different take on it ....

valentine

This thread: