ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1034110815

From: joe <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: Southern ports
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 15:00:15 -0600

Hello Char,
Great post. Yes, many immigrants who settled in areas along or near the
Mississippi river landed at New Orleans and then traveled up the river
to their destination. This was more common prior to the Civil War. After
the war trains become more and more available to take immigrants who
landed at East coast ports to their inland destinations. New Orleans
passenger arrival lists are available (mostly on microfilm). You can
learn all about how to search for and obtain them here...

Finding Passenger Arrival Records at the Port of New Orleans, Louisiana
http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/neworleans.html

Good luck with your searches.

Regards,
Joe

wrote:

> Peggy and others,
> I have done this for a month, and just found out there were southern ports of
> entry, even though many of us as "non-genealogists" only know of NY and Ellis
> or west coast.
>
> My gggrandfather came from Switzerland, to a New Orleans Port, up the
> Mississippi to Wisconsin, which I thought may be of interest to some of you.
> (I have not found what port, got this info from another Swiss.)
>
> The immigrants all lived in New Glarus, Wisconsin - many of them coming from
> Glarus, Switzerland. Today, there is such a Swiss population in that area of
> Wis that the U of W has done studies on it. (The new found relative who lives
> there has just shared that with me.) Many New Glarus Swiss married distant
> relatives, so many have the name KLASSY (old spelling KLAESI).
>
> My line left for the Dakotas soon after reaching America (gggrandfather
> stayed long enough to find a little wife from New Glarus), so there is a
> "cluster" in Dakotas also. He and his wife had quite a relationship...they
> had 13 children.
>
> Just a little Swiss history. Hope someone finds it new to them and
> interesting.
>
> Char
> East Texas

This thread: