ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1034294914

Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: Social Security Numbers
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:08:34 -0700

> Subject: Social Security Numbers
>
> My husband asked me a question that really stumped me. Hope someone with
> knowledge out there can try to provide a logical answer for this question.
<snip>

Hi. Women seldom obtained their own social security number, back in the
1940s and 1950s. When these women reached the age of 65, they applied
for Medicare, on their husband's social security number. The husband's
social security number was followed by an A, on his medicare card. The
wife's card showed the same number, followed by a B. He was primary on
that number.

I worked as a welfare worker, in the Old Age Security program. That is
how I learned of this. It has only been in the last twenty years, or
so, that each person is assigned a social security number at birth.

Sheila

This thread: