ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1034353778

From: "Barbara A. Brown" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: Mohawk Indian Woman & Shaker Man
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:29:38 -0400

>>I am having no luck searching for information about my great-great
>>grandmother. She was a full blooded Mohawk Indian and married a man
>>who's last name was Morgan.

> They had a daughter who was named Sarah or Sadie in 1875

>>Charles Chester Zeigler and they resided in Washington CT most of their
>>lives. She died in 1922,

You have more than enough information to start your search. Get the
death certificate for Sadie Zeigler; this may give you her parents'
names. Find wills for Charles and Sadie which may mention siblings,
nieces, nephews. Find newspapers from that area and locale and look
for obits.

Get the 1920 census to Charles and Sadie to see where she was born.
(hint: try Bethlehem, Litchfield, CT).

Follow up with the 1910 and 1900 census - they may be living with
or near in-laws.

Look at the 1880 census for a Sadie Morgan b abt 1875.

(and do not look for Mohawk or Shaker connections until you find
some document which confirms this. Many a researcher has gone off
in the wrong direction due to Family Lore. The Mohawk connection may be
several generations back, or it may simply be that someone was born
in Mohawk, NY. The Dawes/ Guion Rolls will not help you in any event:
no Mohawk tribes appear therein. Shaker connections may also be a red
herring: you know that Shakers were celibate.)

I did check the 1880 for you, and there are a couple of Sarahs who
might fit, but you do need some additional information to choose
the right one. Please write me off-list.

This thread: