ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1034360586

From: ETM <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Women employed outside the home
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:23:06 -0400

And I want to emphasize that my mother born in 1912 never worked
outside the home, but she did proudly have a SS number and, for
those old enough to remember, had it firmly captured on a metal
plate facsimile obtained at a dimestore <smile>.

Elaine

On Friday, October 11, 2002, you wrote

> "Overall, between 1940 and 1945 the female labor force grew by more
> than 50 percent. The proportion of all women who were employed
> increased from 27.6 to 37 percent and by 1945 they formed 36.1
> percent of the civilian labor force. Although defense industries did
> account for the greatest gains, women's employment grew in all
> occupational fields except domestic service."

This thread: