ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1034535264

From: "Lorine McGinnis Schulze" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: German Immigrants in 1840
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 14:54:24 -0400

On 13 Oct 2002 at 8:10, wrote:

> Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 06:52:17 EDT
> Subject: German immigrants in 1840
>
> My ggg-grandfather, Frank, came from Germany with his two
> sons in 1839-1840. When I track his son, Louis Shafer, in
> the census, he was born in ohio. On Louis's death
> certificate, he was born in Germany. The first census
> record I found that I am sure is my gg-grandfather is 1860. His
> marriage record is dated June 19, 1851 in Brown County, Ohio.
> Any ideas how I can figure out where in Germany he came from?

Hi Nell,

You may have better luck finding out where he came from in
Germany by finding his immigration records.

For ideas on finding passengers from Germany to USA (lists of
and links to CDs, books, published passenger lists and of
course -- ONline passenger lists) see Germans & Swiss to USA at

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/germanstousa.shtml

You could also look for obits for both Frank and his two sons --
see if there is mention of a more precise location than
Germany.

You might want more ideas on how/where to find that hard-to-
find ancestor's immigration record -- try Immigration to USA
After 1820 at
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/usaaft1820.shtml

Good luck,
Lorine

Lorine McGinnis Schulze

The Olive Tree Genealogy Upper Canada List page is at
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/can/lists/uppercanada.shtml

This thread: